Moving to Uruguay
Some advice when you are considering moving to Uruguay:
-Take Spanish classes before coming or immediately after arrive. Remember that although much of the Uruguayans have learned English, this is not a bilingual country and it seems that to preserve its culture, it has not intensions to be.
– Take a time with tourist visa, before considering applying for legal residency. Uruguay may not be exactly as you expect.
– Decide ahead if your goal will be obtaining legal residency plus citizenship or only legal residency. For applying to citizenship, there are some actions that you should take, that you will regret later if you have not taken them since the first moment.
– In case you have a disease, research before coming, the quality of the assistance you will be able to get in Uruguay.
– Rent for a while before buying.
– Rent a place in Pocitos neighborhood or around it, and from there research other areas.
– Do not underestimate winter in Uruguay, bring cloth according to the season.
– When bringing more than 10 thousand dollars cash or in metals declare them in customs before leaving the port or airport.
– Declare your cell phone at customs.